Contact Address Information:
Lemminkäisenkatu 14-18 B
The island and lighthouse were attacked by the Russians in 1941, with many casualties on both sides. The lighthouse was heavily damaged and was discontinued until 1950. The station has been restored by the Centre for Extension Studies at University of Turku. A group called Bengtskär Ltd. takes care of the lighthouse for the University of Turku. It is now a museum, post office and coffee shop, and has overnight accommodations.
Tower Height: 150
Height of Focal Plane: 167
Characteristic and Range: Three white flashes every 20 seconds; range 10 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Conical brick tower attached to keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
Intergral keeper's quarters.
Date Established: 1906
Date Present Tower Built: 1906
Date Deactivated: 1941-1950
Date Automated: 1968
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The light station and museum are open June 1st - Aug 31st, every day 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Visitors get to climb the 252 stairs in the tower for a magnificent view.
The lighthouse is accessible via a tour boat operating daily in summer. The trips leave Eastern Harbour at 11:30 a.m. and return at 5:30 p.m. Lunch on board and a guided tour (in Finnish, Swedish or English) is included. For more information on cruises to Bengtskär, check this website: www.surfnet.fi/saaristoristeilyt/en/
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Nearby Lodging: Overnight accommodations are available at the lighthouse.