Cape Spear National Historic Site
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 1268
Cape Spear is the easternmost point of land in North America. In 1955 this tower replaced the original 1836 lighthouse as an aid to navigation. As of January 2003, this is still a staffed light station.
Tower Height: 35
Height of Focal Plane: 233
Characteristic and Range: Three white flashes every 15 seconds, visible for 20 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White octagonal concrete tower.
This light is operational
1836: Tower on roof of two-story dwelling. Lantern dome is painted with vertical red and white stripes.
Date Established: 1836
Date Present Tower Built: 1955
Fog Signal: Automated horn, four second blast every 60 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The Visitor Centre and 1836 lighthouse are open to visitors from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., May 15 to October 15. There is a small entry fee to the lighthouse, and an additional fee for a guided tour. The gift shop at the Visitor Centre is operated by the Newfoundland Historic Parks Association (NHPA).
Cape Spear is about six miles from St. John's. From St. John's, go west on Water Street to Leslie Street. Turn left at the lights and go over the bridge to the stop sign. Go straight through the intersection and continue onto Route 11, also known as Cape Spear Drive. At the end of the road is Cape Spear National Historic Site.