Fort Amherst Museum, Photo Gallery and Tearoom
The original lighthouse on this site was the first lighthouse in Newfoundland.
Tower Height: 17
Height of Focal Plane: 131
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 15 seconds, visible for 13 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, square pyramidal wooden tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
1810: Tower on top of barracks building.
Date Established: 1810
Date Present Tower Built: 1951
Fog Signal: Automated horn, two second blast every 20 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
In recent years Jack and Rosalind Power have operated a museum and tearoom in one of the former keeper's dwellings. Check ahead to see if the museum and tearoom are open.
Fort Amherst can be reached by taking Southside Road along the southern edge of St. John's Harbour.
Keepers: Corporals Purcell and Brown, and other military personnel (1810-?), Philip Roach (?-1852), John Sheppard (1857-1887), Austin Sheppard (1887-1924), Captain Robert C. Sheppard (1924-1938), John Flynn (1938-1939), Archibald Way (1939-194?), Ben Dalton (?-1949), Leo Power (1949-1972), Ed Brake (1972-1975), Con Bennett (1975-1982).