Canadian Coast Guard
This location was formerly known as "Long Point Toulinguet" and "Toulinguet Island." It was Anglicized to "Twillingate." The lighthouse was encased in concrete after a 1929 tidal wave. As of spring 2004, there is still a resident keeper and the lighthouse may be opened at the discretion of the keeper.
Tower Height: 47
Height of Focal Plane: 336
Characteristic and Range: Flash 0.5 s; eclipse 4.5 s., visible for 16 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Red square tower, octagonal upper part, with white lantern.
This light is operational
Duplex keeper's dwelling, fog signal building.
Date Established: 1876
Date Present Tower Built: 1876
Fog Signal: Automated horn, four second blast every 60 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
From the TransCanada Highway, take Route 340 to Twillingate Island and follow the road to its end and the lighthouse.
Keepers: Samuel Roberts (1876-?), James Henry Preston (1876-c.1911), John and George Roberts (1932-?), Edgar Sharpe (1952-1980), Allan Roberts (1969-1984), Barry Porter (1984-1988 and 2003- ), Jack May (1988-2004).