The first lighthouse at Grant's Pass was built privately by Captain John Grant. It was the only privately built lighthouse ever in the Gulf of Mexico. The second tower, built by the Lighthouse Board, stood until about 1873. The following comes from Warren Lee: Grant's Pass Light was located near the intersection of Grant's Pass Channel and Dauphin Island Bridge. Those traversing the Dauphin Island Bridge can watch for the dark water of the channel (still exists in 2002). This channel is about 1/4 mile off Mon Louis Island when leaving Cedar Point for Dauphin Island.
The "Pass" was dredged by John Grant as a private toll route from Mobile Bay to Pascagoula Mississippi. Two cannons placed at the lighthouse assured that people would stop to pay the toll.
This light is not operational
1840s: Privately built tower; 1864: 25-foot open-frame tower.
Date Established: c. 1840s
Date Deactivated: 1866
Current Use: Destroyed.