Round Island Lighthouse Preservation Society
Contact Address Information:
The original Round Island Lighthouse was replaced by a new 50-foot brick tower in 1859. This lighthouse was destroyed by Hurricane Georges in 1998. The Round Island Lighthouse Preservation Society and the City of Pascagoula have rebuilt the lighthouse at a new location using many bricks of the original tower as possible. The lighthouse will eventually be part of a public park.
Description of Tower: Conical brick tower.
This light is not operational
1834: 45-foot brick tower; 1859 - 50-foot brick tower
Date Established: 1834
Date Deactivated: c. 1949
Date Automated: 1944
Optics: 1859: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Under restoration.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Curtis Lewis (1834-1839), Charles Quandrill (1839-1847), William Taylor (1847-1853), Lemuel Childress (1853-1865), Edwin Bailey (1865-1871), Charles Anderson (1871, died in service), Margaret Anderson (1871-1881), Mary Anderson (1881), John Murray (1881-1895), Robert Dimitry (1895-1904), Thorwald Hansen (1905-1907), Mrs. Mary Hansen (1907-1909); Mathlas Streckert (1907-1909?); Nirls Nilsru (?) (1909-1911); Dewitt Charles Powell (1916-1920); J. H. Portman (1917-1921); A. E. Steiner (c. 1929-1930s); William Edward Ewing (assistant c. 1929-1941, then Coast Guard 1941-1944); J. J. Oliver (c. 1936); C. H. Carlson (1937-1941); Elwood Ladnier (?-1949?)