U.S. Coast Guard
A 1947 skeletal tower formerly served as a front range light with this lighthouse.
Tower Height: 108
Height of Focal Plane: 116
Description of Tower: Whte, cast iron, octagonal, pyramidal skeletal tower with central cylinder and black lantern.
This light is operational
1832: Wooden tower, destroyed in storm in 1841; 1842: 40-foot wooden tower; 1848: 54-foot octagonal wooden toweron roof of dwelling.
Date Established: 1832
Date Present Tower Built: 1881
Date Automated: 1971
Optics: 1862: Third order Fresnel lens; 18??: Fourth order Fresnel lens; 18??: First order Fresnel lens, now on display at Louisiana State Museum in New Orleans; 1951: DCB-224 optic.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Access is by boat only.
Keepers: Henry Heistand (1832-?), James Fisher (c. 1860s), James W. Salazar (Coast Guard, 1951-c. 1954)