Schokland was formerly a densely populated island in the Zuiderzee (now known as the IJsselmeer). The island was evacuated by royal decree for safety reasons in 1859. In the 1920s and early 1930s, part of the Zuiderzee was reclaimed to be transformed into agricultural land. As a result, Schokland is now part of the Noordoostpolder (Northeast Polder). The present replica lighthouse was built in 2007; the original (?) keeper's house has been restored.
Tower Height: 29
It is not known at this time if this light is operational
Date Established: c. 1806?
Date Present Tower Built: 2007
Date Deactivated: c. 1930s
Current Use: Historic attraction.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Jan Spit (?-1940), Harmen Smit (?)