Fort Worden State Park
Contact Address Information:
200 Battery Way
This lighthouse station is still maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard, but Fort Worden State Park hopes to obtain ownership and open the lighthouse for public tours. Because of coastal erosion and flooding during storms, there is discussion of moving the lighthouse and dwelling away from the shoreline.
Tower Height: 46
Height of Focal Plane: 51
Characteristic and Range: White light interrupted for 5 seconds darkness every 20 seconds, with one red flash during the occultation.
Description of Tower: Octagonal white tower on fog signal building.
This light is operational
1879 two-story wood frame keeper's dwelling, integral 1914 fog signal building, second keeper's dwelling, two oil houses.
1879: tower on roof of keeper's dwelling.
Date Established: 1879
Date Present Tower Built: 1914
Date Automated: 1976
Optics: 1879: Fourth order Fresnel lens, still in use.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, Coast Guard housing.
Open To Public? By arrangement only.
Fort Worden State Park is on the north side of Port Townsend, on the northeast tip of the Olympic Peninsula. From South Seattle and Tacoma, take the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (Highway 16) northwest to Bremerton, and Highway 3 north to the Hood Canal
Bridge. Cross the bridge and take Highway 19 (about five miles, turn right) north through Chimacum to Port Townsend. From Seattle or north to Everett: take the Bainbridge Island or Edmonds/Kingston ferry, go to the Hood Canal Bridge. Cross the bridge and in about five miles take Highway 19 north (to the right) through Chimacum to Port Townsend. From Olympia: Either use the Tacoma directions, or follow the scenic route up Hood Canal on Highway 101. From Victoria: take the ferry of your choice to Port Angeles, Washington. Take Highway 101 east to Highway 20. Turn left (north) onto 20, drive to Port Townsend. The Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla in Port Townsend uses one of the quarters for meetings and gives occasional special tours of the site.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: David M. Littlefield (1879-?).