Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Point Lookout Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Nearest Town or City:
Scotland, Maryland, United States

Location: Entrance to Potomac River, Chesapeake Bay.

Click to enlarge: Photo   
Photo: Joost Keesing

Managing Organization:
Point Lookout State Park

Telephone: 301-872-5688


The Maryland Department of Natural Resources bought the light station from the Navy in May 2002. The exterior has been restored, and the Point Lookout Lighthouse Preservation Society (PLLPS), Inc. has been formed to restore the buildings to the 1927 time period and to educate the public on the history of the light station. See to learn more. Also see for additional information.

Tower Height: 36

Height of Focal Plane: 41

Description of Tower: Red, octagonal iron tower and lantern on roof of dwelling.

This light is not operational

Other Buildings?
Integral 2.5 story wood frame and brick keeper's house.

Date Established: 1830

Date Present Tower Built: 1883

Date Deactivated: 1965

Optics: 18??: Fourth order Fresnel lens (removed).

Fog Signal: A bell tower, bell and striking mechanism are now at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels.

Current Use: Attraction at state park.

Open To Public? Once yearly.

Follow Maryland State Route 5 to Point Lookout State Park. Continue on for two miles to the lighthouse at the end of the road. The lighthouse is open to the public on the first Saturday of every month (April - November) from 10:00 to 2:00.

Keepers: James Davis (1830, died in service), Ann Davis (1830-1847), William Wood (1848-1849), William P. Baxter (1849-1853), Richard D. Edwards (1853), Samuel Cullison (1853), Martha A. Edwards (1853-1855), Pamelia Edwards (1855-1869), William Moody (1869-1871), William Yeatman (1871-1908), Percy S. Yeatman (1908), William Moody (1908-1912), Thomas Jackson (1912-1917), George Willis (1917-1939), Westly Fulcher (1939-1954), Herman Metevier (assistant? 1939-1954), Marvin Fulcher (1954-1955), Wallace Sturgis (1955-1956), George Gatton (1956-1965), Raymond Hartzel (1965-1966)


to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse Jewelry

Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2018 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History