Calvert Marine Museum
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 97
The lighthouse is open to the public through bus tours from the Calvert Marine Museum. The lighthouse is open 7 days a week, June - August from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Open Weekends and holidays, May and September. Closed October through April. Call ahead for bus schedule.
Tower Height: 51
Height of Focal Plane: 45
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower coated with concrete.
This light is operational
Two-story brick keeper's house, assistant keeper's house, 1904 fog bell tower.
Date Established: 1828
Date Present Tower Built: 1828
Date Automated: 1986
Optics: 1897: Fourth order Fresnel lens (still in use).
Fog Signal: Originally bell, now automated horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
This lighthouse is located at the end of MD 497 in Cove Point.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: James Somerville (1828-1834), Walter Wyville (1834-1849), John Hance (1849-1853), John Porter (1853), John Catterton (1853-1855), George Thomas (1855-1857), Sarah Thomas (1857-1859), James Griffith (1859-1861), James L. Tongue (1861-1862), Charles M. Hagelin (1862-1868), James Younger (1868-1869), John A. Phillips (1869-1873), Charles H. Erdman (1873-1881), Herman Dehl (1881-1883 and 1884-1890), George H. Rice (1883-1884), Benjamin N. Gray (1890-1907), Richard S. Daniels (1907-1917), Clinton B. Gray (1917-1931), Horace C. Groom (1931-1944), James T. Somers (1944-1958?), Vernon Cooper (c. 1952-?)