This lighthouse was offered to a qualified new owner under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000, but there were no applicants and the lighthouse was sold to David McNally for $170,000 through an auction in October 2005. The Coast Guard still maintains the optic and related equipment.
Tower Height: 35
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 10 seconds with red sector.
Description of Tower: White, square brick tower on roof of keeper's dwelling, with black lantern.
This light is operational
Integral octagonal brick two-story keeper's quarters, on cast iron and concrete caisson.
1802: First tower onshore. 1821: lightship. 1828: New tower onshore. 1857: lightship. 1868: New offshore screwpile lighthouse (destroyed by ice in 1895).
Date Established: 1802
Date Present Tower Built: 1897
Date Automated: 1971
Optics: 1897: Fourth order Fresnel lens, now DCB-24.
Fog Signal: Horn, blast every 15 seconds, on 24 hours.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!