The second Bridgeport Harbor Light was built in 1871. It was an octagonal wooden tower on a wooden keeper's house on iron screw piles. The Coast Guard replaced the lighthouse with a skeleton tower in 1953. A crew was removing the lighthouse when it accidentally caught fire and was destroyed.
Description of Tower: Wood octagonal tower integral to keeper's house.
This light is not operational
1851: Octagonal wooden tower and keeper's quarters on iron piles.
Date Established: 1851
Date Deactivated: 1953
Optics: 185?: Sixth order Fresnel lens; 1871: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Abraham A. McNeil (1851-1873), Charles McNeil (assistant, 1851-1871), Waldo Lester (1873), Charles Hubbell (1874-1875), Frederick Raymond (assistant, 1875-1876), Joseph H. Prindle (?) (1875-1876), S. Adolphus McNeil (1876-1902), Ole Anderson (1902-?), William Harwick (c. 1920), Daniel McCoart (1921-1942), Ralph Lutinski (Coast Guard, ?-1953), Delphin Merritt (Coast Guard, ?-1953), Michael J. Walsh, Jr. (Coast Guard, ?-1953), Edward J. Sampel (Coast Guard, ?-1953), Otto E. Hessmar, (Coast Guard, ?-1953).