New London Maritime Society
This lighthouse is considered an important example of lighthouse engineering. It is an early caisson structure built on ledges in a an area known for dangerous currents. The architect was F. Hopkinson Smith, who also built the foundation for the Statue of Liberty. The project took almost eight years to complete. On June 27, 2013, the ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the New London Maritime Society.
Tower Height: 45
Height of Focal Plane: 67
Description of Tower: Square (top section octagonal) granite tower attached to keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
Integral 2.5 story granite keeper's dwelling,
Date Established: 1879
Date Present Tower Built: 1879
Date Automated: 1978
Optics: 1879: Fourth order Fresnel lens, now DCB-24.
Fog Signal: Originally bell, later siren and Daboll trumpet; now automated horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
This lighthouse is best seen by boat. The lighthouse cruises offered by Captain John's Sport Fishing Center in Waterford, Connecticut, pass this lighthouse. Call (860) 443-7259 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information. Race Rock Light can also be distantly (use binoculars!) from some points on shore, such as the Avery Point Campus of the University of Connecticut in Groton.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Neil Martin (1878-1880); Thomas A. Carroll (1880-1886, died in service); George H. Tooker (c. 1931).