This lighthouse was built in 1855 but wasn't first lighted until 1857. It was badly damaged in the Civil War. The original keeper's house was destroyed in a hurricane in 1916.
Tower Height: 68
Height of Focal Plane: 65
Description of Tower: Octagonal brick tower with white lantern.
This light is operational
One-story wooden keeper's dwelling, oil house, storage building.
Date Established: 1855
Date Present Tower Built: 1855
Date Deactivated: 1861-1867, 1952-1988
Optics: 1855: Fourth order Fresnel lens, now on display at Port Aransas City Hall.
Current Use: Private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Dolphin watching cruises from Port Aransas provide a good view of the lighthouse; see www.kohootz.com or call (361) 779-3188.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places