Matagorda Island Foundation
Contact Address Information:
5858 Westheimer, Suite 400
Responsibility for this lighthouse has been transferred to Calhoun County. A year-long, $1.23 million renovation project was completed in the spring of 2004. The funding came from a federal grant secured through the Texas Department of Transportation and private donations raised by the Matagorda Island Foundation. Future plans include the reconstruction of the keeper's house to serve as a visitor information center.
Tower Height: 79
Height of Focal Plane: 90
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 3 seconds.
Description of Tower: Black, conical cast iron tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1852
Date Present Tower Built: 1852
Date Deactivated: 1995-1999
Optics: 1852: Third order Fresnel lens (now at Calhoun County Historical Museum in Port Lavaca); now 250 mm optic, solar powered.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse is located in Matagorda Island State Park. Matagorda Island is accessible via ferry (45 minutes) from Port O'Connor. Call (361) 983-2215 for schedules and reservations.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Capt. James E. Cummings (1852 - 1st Keeper); Theodore Olsen (?-1918)