U.S. Coast Guard
The Coast Guard removed the lantern in 1969 to make room for DCB-224 aerobeacons. The lantern was on display for 21 years at Booth Memorial Park in Stratford. In 1990 a smaller optic was installed and the lantern was returned to the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 35
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 20 seconds.
Description of Tower: Cast iron tower with brick lining, white with red band around the middle, cast iron white and red lantern.
This light is operational
1881 1.5 story wood keeper's house, 1911 brick fog signal building.
1822: 28-foot octagonal wooden tower.
Date Established: 1822
Date Present Tower Built: 1881
Date Automated: 1970
Optics: c. 1838: 10 lamps and 14-inch reflectors, 1855L Six lamps and 21
Fog Signal: 1864: Fog bell and striking mechanism; 1932: Air horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, Coast Guard housing.
Open To Public? No.
The keeper's house is used as housing for a Coast Guard family and there is no public access. The lighthouse is best viewed from the water.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Samuel Buddington (1821-c. 1841 and 1844-1848, died in service); William Merwin (c. 1841-1844); Amy Buddington (1848-1861); Rufus Buddington (1861-1869); Benedict Lillingston (1869-1874); Frederick Lillingston (assistant, c. 1869-1874); John L. Brush (1874-1879); Abigail Brush (assistant, 1874-1879); Jerome Tuttle (1879-1880); Mary Tuttle (assistant, 1879-1880); Theodore Judson (1880-1921); Kate Judson (assistant, 1880-1882); William Petzolt (assistant 1913-1921, keeper 1921-1945); Daniel F. McCoart (1945-1963).; William A. Shackley (assistant, c. 1950s)