Minnesota Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
Split Rock Lighthouse Historic Site
3713 Split Rock Lighthouse Rd.
This light station has been restored by the Minnesota Historical Society to the way it looked before 1924. Interpretive staff at the site portray the lives of 1920s keepers and their families for visitors to the station.
Tower Height: 54
Height of Focal Plane: 168
Description of Tower: Octagonal brick tower.
This light is not operational
Two-story brick keeper's house, brick fog signal building, oil house, three additional keepers' dwellings, two storage barns, pump house, tram house.
Date Established: 1910
Date Present Tower Built: 1910
Date Deactivated: 1969
Optics: 1910: Third order Fresnel lens, still on site.
Current Use: Museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The buildings, visitors center and grounds are open May 15 to October 15 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; call for winter hours.
This lighthouse is located about 20 miles northeast of Two Harbors on MN Highway 61.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Orren “Pete” Young (1910-1928); Franklin J. Covell (1928-1944).