Village of Old Field
This lighthouse was replaced by an automated light on a skeletal tower in 1933, but it has been reactivated. The lighthouse now serves as the Old Field Village Hall.
Tower Height: 35
Height of Focal Plane: 74
Characteristic and Range: Alternating red and green flashes every 10 seconds.
Description of Tower: Black, octagonal iron tower on roof of keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
Integral 2.5 story granite keeper's dwelling, 1824 keeper's house, garage, generator building.
1823: 30-foot octagonal tower.
Date Established: 1823
Date Present Tower Built: 1868
Date Deactivated: 1933-1991
Optics: 1855: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now FA-251.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, town offices, private residence.
Open To Public? no
This lighthouse can be seen from Old Field Road, but parking is prohibited anywhere on the road. It is best seen from the Bridgeport (CT) to Port Jefferson ferry. For schedules and reservations call 631-473-0286; outside New York State call 203-335-2040.
Keepers: Edward Shoemaker (1824-1826); ? Shoemaker (wife of Edward, 1826-1827); Walter Smith (1827-1830); Elizabeth Smith (wife of Walter, 1830-1856); Mary A. Foster (1856-1869); Bery Floyd (1869); George D. Lee (1869-1874); Charles F. Jayne (1874-1895); Edgar Stanton Maclay (1895-1901); Richard Edwin Day (1901-1933).