Superior Watershed Partnership
A day beacon marked this spot beginning in 1868. This lighthouse is built on a submerged offshore reef at an exposed location; it is considered an important engineering achievement. The interior was badly damaged in a 1961 fire. The original second order, 12 bullseye lens was removed in 1962 following the 1961 explosion and is currently on display at the Marquette Maritime Museum, in Marquette, MI. Under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the Superior Watershed Partnership in Marquette, Michigan.
Tower Height: 110
Height of Focal Plane: 102
Description of Tower: Conical stone tower on cylindrical crib.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1882
Date Present Tower Built: 1882
Date Automated: 1962
Optics: 1882: Second order Fresnel lens (on display at the Marquette Maritime Museum, in Marquette, MI). Now 300mm.
Fog Signal: Originally steam whistle, then diaphone horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only. Keweenaw Excursions offers cruises that pass this lighthouse; see www.keweenawexcursions.com or call 906-482-0884, or email Kraig@portup.com.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places