Bureau des Phares et Balises
Several successive structures, each supposedly stronger than its predecessor, were built on the rock between the 1830s and the 1890s, but they were all swept away by the waves. In the 1890s, it was decided to build a reinforced concrete tower, which has been able to resist the elements.
Tower Height: 65
Height of Focal Plane: 43
Characteristic and Range: Three white flashes every 12 seconds; range 11 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Gray octagonal concrete tower with black diagonal bands.
This light is operational
1832: Wooden tower (destroyed the same year). 1849: Iron beacon. 1859: Masonry tower (destroyed in 1861; new tower built in 1872 destroyed in 1873). 1884: Iron post (destroyed in 1886; more solid post light erected in 1890, destroyed in 1891).
Date Established: 1832
Date Present Tower Built: 1897
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!