Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association
Volunteers, including local Boy Scout troops, have worked to restore this lighthouse. The station is under the care of the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association; the Coast Guard still maintains the active optic. The amazing restoration that has taken place at St Helena Island Lighthouse, under the direction of Dick Moehl, is often called "The Miracle of the Straits of Mackinac."
Tower Height: 71
Height of Focal Plane: 71
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower.
This light is operational
1.5 story brick keeper's house, assistant keeper's house, boathouse, oil house, privy.
Date Established: 1873
Date Present Tower Built: 1873
Date Automated: 1922
Optics: 1873: 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens; now 250 mm optic, solar powered.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
The island is accessible by boat only. Tours are available by appointment; call 231-436-5580 for information. It can also be seen from tours offered by Mackinac Seaplane Tours, see www.mackinacseaplanes.com or call 906-632-9746.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places