This lighthouse and fog signal station is located at the end of the north breakwater at the entrance to the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal, offshore from the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Light. Sold at GSA auction for $48,500 on Sept. 12, 2014.
Tower Height: 39
Height of Focal Plane: 40
Description of Tower: Red, cylindrical cast iron tower attached to fog signal building.
This light is operational
Integral steel fog signal building.
Date Established: 1882
Date Present Tower Built: 1903
Optics: 1882: Sixth order Fresnel lens; now 300 mm.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Views of this lighthouse are possible from the nearby south pierhead, or from Portage Park in Sturgeon Bay.
Keepers: Rufus M. Wright (1882-1886), Charles Oliver Chapman (first assistant 1884-1886, head keeper 1886-1899), Robert F. Graham (first assistant 1887), William P. Rooney (first assistant 1888), Henry Gattie (first assistant 1888-1896), Charles Bavry (first assistant 1896-1899), Daniel Regan (second assistant 1896-1897), Walter S. Lockhart (second assistant 1897-1899)