The Mont Saint-Michel, a fortified abbey whose origins date back to the 5th century A.D., is a world heritage site and one of France's major tourist attractions. In the late 19th century, a light was shown from the Gabriel Tower (Tour Gabriel), located at the foot of the abbey on the west side of the island, to guide ships up the Couesnon River to the villages of Beauvoir and Pontorson. However, within just over three decades commercial traffic on the river has ceased, and the light was discontinued.
Height of Focal Plane: 41
Description of Tower: 1881: Light shown from the window of a watchtower on the Tour Gabriel.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1870
Date Deactivated: 1904
Current Use: Part of the abbey.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!