Cherbourg is a major port on the French Atlantic coast. Because of its exposure to the rough seas of the English Channel, it was decided to build a long offshore breakwater (Digue du Large or Digue Centrale) in 1783. Work was completed in 1853 after several interruptions due to revolutions and wars. Three forts were built on the 12,000-foot long breakwater, one at each end (Fort de l'Est and Fort de l'Ouest) and one near the middle (Fort du Centre), each with a lighthouse. Of the three, the Fort de l'Ouest Lighthouse is the only one still standing today.
Tower Height: 30
Height of Focal Plane: 62
Characteristic and Range: Three white flashes every 15 seconds, visible for 24 miles (red sector: 20 miles).
Description of Tower: Circular stone tower with a red lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1840
Date Present Tower Built: 1853
Date Automated: 1977
Fog Signal: Horn, 3 blasts every 60 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!