Cherbourg is a major port on the French Atlantic coast. Because of its exposure to the rough seas of the English Channel, it was decided to build a long offshore breakwater (Digue du Large or Digue Centrale) in 1783. Work was completed in 1853 after several interruptions due to revolutions and wars. Three forts were built on the 12,000-foot long breakwater, one at each end (Fort de l'Est and Fort de l'Ouest) and one near the middle (Fort du Centre), each with a lighthouse. After the Fort du Centre Lighthouse was discontinued in 1896, there was no light on the site until 1952, when a 9-foot tall pillar light was erected.
This light is not operational
1839: White conical masonry tower, 54 feet tall, focal plane height of 66 feet (discontinued in 1896).
Date Established: 1839
Date Deactivated: 1896
Current Use: Destroyed.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!