Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Contact Address Information:
9922 Front Street
The exterior of this lighthouse has been preserved. A Historic Structures Report is being written; the report will document the building's history and condition. It will also make recommendations about restoring the interior and the advisability of putting exhibits in the connected lighthouse keeper’s dwelling. The dwelling was built in 1858 and until 1872 the lighthouse tower was on top of the building. It was removed after the present tower was built.
Tower Height: 104
Height of Focal Plane: 100
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower with black lantern.
This light is not operational
2.5 story brick keeper's house, fog signal building.
Date Established: 1840
Date Present Tower Built: 1872
Date Deactivated: 1958
Optics: 1872: Third order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Atraction in National Park.
Open To Public? Yes.
There is a visitor center on South Manitou Island, which is part of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
Manitou Island Transit, which provides ferry service to the islands from Leland, also operates tours of the South Manitou Island historic district. Reservations are highly recommended. (231) 256-9061 (office) or (231) 271-4217 (off-season).
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: William N. Burton (1840-1843), Bael Ward (1843-?)