Fox Island Lighthouse Association
The light in the was deactivated in 1934 after the erection nearby of a skeletal tower, but the keeper’s dwelling attached to the 1867 tower stayed in use until 1959 when the last crew left the island. It was then abandoned to the elements, but is now being restored.
Tower Height: 30
Description of Tower: Square brick tower attached to keeper's dwelling.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1868
Date Present Tower Built: 1867
Date Deactivated: 1934
Current Use: Under restoration.
Open To Public? No.
The site is open to the public in the summer months of July and August.
Keepers: James McCormick (1916-1921). For a list of keepers see www.terrypepper.com/lights/michigan/southfox/keepers.htm