Marine Heritage Society of Southampton
Contact Address Information:
This lighthouse, which is one of six "Imperial Towers" built in the area in the late 1850s, is still an active aid to navigation maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard. The Marine Heritage Society of Southampton has restored the keeper's house. Tours of the lighthouse and keeper's quarters are available from May 24 until the end of September. Details on the tours are available at www.chantryisland.com.
Tower Height: 80
Height of Focal Plane: 86
Characteristic and Range: Fixed white.
Description of Tower: White, conical limestone tower.
This light is operational
Two story keeper's house.
Date Established: 1859
Date Present Tower Built: 1859
Date Automated: 1954
Optics: 1858: Second order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
Keepers: Duncan McGregor Lambert (1858-1880); William Lambert (1880-1907), Malcolm McIver (1907-1916), John Klippert (1917-1936), Clayton Knechtel (1936-1941), Alfred Huber (1941-1942), Cameron Spencer (1942-1954).