Bureau des Phares et Balises
Although the original lighthouse here was built some 500 feet from the cliff, it was soon threatened by cliff erosion, a constant problem at Pointe d'Ailly. Despite this, the 1775 lighthouse remained standing (minus its lantern) after its 1899 replacement became operational. The light was extinguished during the Second World War. After the 1899 lighthouse was destroyed by the Germans in 1944, a small lantern destined for a lighthouse in Curaçao was placed instead on the lower level of the 1775 lighthouse and served at the Pointe d'Ailly Light until 1958, when the present lighthouse became operational. The remains of the original lighthouse have since collapsed.
Tower Height: 79
Height of Focal Plane: 312
Characteristic and Range: Three white flashes every 10 seconds (eclipses of 3.9, 3.9 and 11.9 seconds), visible for 31 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Grey, square stone tower with a green lantern; building attached.
This light is operational
1775: White, square stone tower on a dwelling, 59 feet tall. 1899: Octagonal stone and brick tower, 80 feet tall. 1944 (December): Lantern on the lower level of the 1775 lighthouse.
Date Established: 1775
Date Present Tower Built: 1958
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!