U.S. Coast Guard
More than 200 men worked for four years on the construction of this lighthouse. It was very expensive for its time at $406,000.
Tower Height: 93
Height of Focal Plane: 86
Description of Tower: Conical limestone tower on square limestone crib.
This light is operational
Oil house, storage building, brick fog signal building attached to tower.
Date Established: 1874
Date Present Tower Built: 1874
Date Automated: 1972
Optics: 1874: Second order Fresnel lens, now at Inland Seas Maritime Museum in Vermillion, Ohio; now modern solar powered optic.
Fog Signal: Originally air diaphone horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only. The lighthouse can be seen from tours offered by Mackinac Seaplane Tours -- see www.mackinacseaplanes.com or call 906-632-9746.
Keepers: William Marshall (1881-1896), Samuel F. Rogers (1896-1898), Walter B. Marshall (1898-1902)