Alcona Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 174
Sturgeon Point Road
The Alcona Historical Society leased this lighthouse from the Coast Guard in 1982 and began a three year restoration project. The interior of the keeper's house was restored. Almost all of the work was done by volunteers. The active beacon is still maintained by the Coast Guard.
Tower Height: 71
Height of Focal Plane: 69
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1869
Date Present Tower Built: 1869
Date Automated: 1939
Optics: 1889: 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens, still in use.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Museum and grounds only.
The keeper's house is now a maritime museum and gift shop. It is open to the public every day from Memorial Day to mid-September, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
From US 23 North, go right on Lakeshore Drive. Continue for about a mile to Point Road and follow to the lighthouse station.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places