Save Our South Channel Lights
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 46531
This was one of a pair of range lights built to help mariners passing between the St. Clair River and Lake St. Clair. The tower has been leaning for many years; the nonprofit group Save Our South Channel Lights has built a protective wall around the lighthouse. Much more money must be raised to restore the lighthouse. On November 15, 2004, the lighthouse was transferred to Save Our South Channel Lights under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000.
Tower Height: 23
Height of Focal Plane: 28
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 4 seconds, visible for 6 miles.
Description of Tower: Conical brick tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1859
Date Present Tower Built: 1859
Date Automated: 1970
Optics: 1859: Sixth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, under restoration.
Open To Public? No.
Accessible by boat only.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places