Town of Fort Erie
The Point Abino lighthouse is considered an important example of Greek Revival architecture, and was one of the last lighthouses in Canada to be automated. It was originally built to replace the Buffalo Lightship, which sank with all hands in a 1913 storm. In May 2001, the town council voted to purchase the Point Abino lighthouse complex from the federal government and maintain it as a historic attraction. The Point Abino Lighthouse Preservation Society is working for the preservation of the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 98
Description of Tower: White, square concrete tower with red lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1917
Date Present Tower Built: 1917
Date Deactivated: 1996
Date Automated: 1988
Current Use: Historic property.
Open To Public? During scheduled tours only.
The lighthouse is now on private property and is best viewed by boat. For information on scheduled tours, which include a trolley ride to the lighthouse, call (905) 871-1600.