Center for Lake Erie Area Research
Contact Address Information:
1314 Kinnear Road
In 1967 this lighthouse was leased to Ohio State University. Permanent ownership was transferred to the University in 1997. The lighthouse today is used as a research facility. A skeletal tower nearby carries a navigational light.
Tower Height: 60
Height of Focal Plane: 74
Description of Tower: Square brick tower attached to keeper's dwelling, with white and red lantern.
This light is not operational
1897 2 1/2 story brick Queen Anne style keeper's dwelling, barn, oil house.
Date Established: 1897
Date Present Tower Built: 1897
Date Deactivated: 1962
Optics: 1897: Fourth order Fresnel lens, now at Lake Erie Island Historical Museum on South Bass Island, (419) 285-2804.
Current Use: Research facility for university.
Open To Public? No.
The lighthouse and grounds are not usually open to the public, but Ohio State University hosts a tour at the end of August each year in conjunction with an open house event held at the laboratory. The lighthouse can be seen when approaching the island by boat. For information contact Jet Express Ferry, which travels from Port Clinton to South Bass Island, at (800) 245-1538, or Miller Ferry, which travels from Catawba Point to South Bass Island, at (800) 500-2421.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Harry H. Riley (1897-1899); Enoch W. Scribner (1899-1900); Colonel J. (Orlo) Mason (1900-1908); Charles B. Duggan (1908-1925, died in service); Lyle Duggan (1925-1926); Captain William L. Gordon (1926-1939); Frank LaRose (1939-1941); Robert Jones (1941-1944); Kenneth Nester (1944-1947); Paul F. Prochnow (1947-1962).