In 1841, the town of St. Joseph (Port St. Joe) was abandoned after an epidemic of yellow fever wiped out a large part of the population. This led to a rapid decline in vessel traffic in St. Joseph Bay, and the lighthouse was abandoned in 1846 in favor of a new light at Cape San Blas. The abandoned lighthouse served as a daymark through the Civil War.
Tower Height: 55
Height of Focal Plane: 50
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1839
Date Deactivated: 1846
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: Ephraim Andrews (1839-1846)