Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site
Contact Address Information:
PO Box 182
This is the oldest lighthouse on the Hudson River. It is part of the Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site. The battlefield is the site of the midnight assault by the American Light Infantry against a British garrison in 1779. The light was deactivated in 1925, but in 1995 a fourth order lens on loan from the Coast Guard was placed in the tower. It is now lit on an unofficial basis.
Tower Height: 30
Height of Focal Plane: 178
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 4 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal fieldstone tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1826
Date Present Tower Built: 1826
Date Deactivated: 1925
Optics: 1826: Eight lamps and 12-inch reflectors; 1856: Fifth order Fresnel lens; 1902: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Originally bell.
Current Use: Part of historic site.
Open To Public? Yes (by appointment).
The Stony Point Battlefield Site is open April 15 - October 31. Open Wednesday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sunday 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. The grounds are closed Mondays & Tuesdays (except Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day). Admission is free except for special events; there is a vehicle fee on weekends. The lighthouse is opened by appointment; call (at least one day ahead) 845-786-2521.
From the New York Thruway: Take Exit 16 and follow Route 6 east to the Bear Mountain Bridge Circle. Proceed south on Route 9W approximately nine miles and turn left on Park Road. From New York City, take the Palisades Interstate Parkway north to Exit 15. Proceed on Route 106 east to Route 9W. Turn left through the village of Stony Point and turn right on Park Road.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Cornelius W. Lansing (1826-1829), Robert Parkinson (1829-1852), Alexander Rose (1852-1857), Nancy Rose (1857-1904), Melinda Rose (1904-1905), Frank Guyette (1905-1906), Mial E. Eggleston (1906-1911), Millard Caylor (1911-1925)