Sodus Bay Lighthouse and Museum
Contact Address Information:
7606 N. Ontario Street
This lighthouse was replaced by a nearby pier light. The lighthouse and approximately one acre surrounding it are owned by the Town of Sodus and is leased to the Sodus Bay Historical Society. It is adjacent to a three acre public park. There are free concerts near the lighthouse on Sundays (and the Fourth of July) in summer.
Tower Height: 45
Height of Focal Plane: 70
Description of Tower: Square limestone tower attached to keeper's house, with black cast iron lantern.
This light is not operational
Attached 2.5 story keeper's house.
1825: Rubblestone tower.
Date Established: 1825
Date Present Tower Built: 1871
Date Deactivated: 1901
Optics: 1871: Sixth order Fresnel lens; 1985: 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Museum.
Open To Public? Yes
The museum in the keeper's house includes historic displays designed to introduce the visitor to the maritime and geographic history of the Sodus Bay area of Wayne County, New York. There is a library on the second floor, and there is also a small gift shop. The museum is open May 1st through October 31st, Tuesday through Sunday 10 a.m to 5 p.m. (open until 4 p.m. during May and October). Closed Mondays except holidays. Other times by chance or appointment. Bus tours, school groups and adult group tours are welcome by appointment only.
From Route 104, go north on Route 14 to Sodus Point. Turn left at Ontario Street and follow to the lighthouse.