St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge
This lighthouse and the keeper's house were damaged in the Civil War. The St. Marks Refuge Association is working to restore this light station. The lighthouse was scheduled to be transferred to U.S. Fish and Wildlife in 2006, but it was delayed and the official transfer took place in 2013, with the transfer ceremony taking place in 2014.
Tower Height: 73
Height of Focal Plane: 82
Characteristic and Range: White light occulting every 4 seconds; range 8 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, brick conical tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1843 one-story brick keeper's house.
Date Established: 1831
Date Present Tower Built: 1842
Date Automated: 1960
Optics: 1867: Fourth order Fresnel lens, replaced by fifth order Fresnel lens. The fifth order lens is still in place, but the light is now produced by a modern solar-powered 250mm optic attached to the gallery railing.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse is at the end of County Road 59 in the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. There is a fee to enter the refuge.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Samuel Crosby [Cosby ?] (1830-1839), Benjamin Metcalf (c. 1839), John P. Hungerford (1840-?), Needham Dudley (1844-1850), Ann Dudley (1850-c. 1854), John J. Alien [Allen?] (1854-1859), R. H. Alexander (1859), William Blythe (1859-1860), David M. Kennedy (1860-1861, 1867-1879), James M. Kennedy (1870-1875), R. R. Fletcher (assistant, 1876), Samuel Forbes (1875-1880), Mark Richardson (1880), James H. Breen (1880-1881), Isaac Dent (assistant 1880-1882), George H. Gibson (1880-1892), Charles Fine (1892-1904), Sarah Fine (1904-1910), J. M. Ladd (1910-?), J. Y. Gresham (1918-1942).