Municipality of Pointe-des-Cascade
The first Soulanges Canal, built in 1779-1780, was the first in North America to have locks. It was replaced by the Beauharnois Canal in the mid-19th century, but by 1899, a new, 14-mile long Soulanges Canal was inaugurated to enable ships to avoid the Cascades, Cedar and Coteau rapids in the northern arm of the St. Lawrence River linking Lac Saint-Louis and Lac Saint-François between the Grande Ile and the Ile de Valleyfield. The canal and the range lights that marked its eastern and western ends were discontinued following the inauguration of the St. Lawrence Seaway (ca. 1960), but today there are plans to reopen the canal for pleasure boaters. After being neglected for a number of years, all four range lights have been restored but remain inactive. The Lower Entrance Front Light is still at its original location.
Tower Height: 29
Height of Focal Plane: 37
Characteristic and Range: Fixed red.
Description of Tower: White, circular iron tower and lantern with a red roof, at the end of the north pier.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1902
Date Present Tower Built: 1902
Date Deactivated: c. 1960
Current Use: None.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
From Highway 20, take Highway 338 to Pointe-des-Cascades. The front light is difficult to find (and to get to); local knowledge is required.