Earlier privately operated lights at the site may have dated back to 1830. This lighthouse, very close to the Canadian border, was replaced by a light on a skeleton tower in 1931. The Coast Guard worked with the private owners, and the light was returned to the lighthouse. A relighting ceremony was held on August 7, 2002.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Description of Tower: Unpainted conical granite tower.
This light is operational
1858 granite keeper's house.
Date Established: 1858
Date Present Tower Built: 1858
Date Deactivated: 1931-2002
Optics: 1858: Sixth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Active aid to navigatiuon, private residence.
Open To Public? No.
The light station is not accessible to the public. It can be viewed from Route 9B in New York in the Rouses Point area.