Juniper Island Light, Vermont's first lighthouse, was replaced by an automated light on a skeleton tower in 1954. The family that has owned Juniper Island since 1956 plans to restore the lighthouse tower and to rebuild the keeper's house, which burned down in 1962. The tower is one of the earliest cast iron lighthouses in the U.S.
Tower Height: 25
Description of Tower: Cylindrical cast iron tower.
This light is not operational
1826: 30-foot brick tower.
Date Established: 1826
Date Present Tower Built: 1846
Date Deactivated: 1954
Optics: 18??: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Bell.
Current Use: Privately owned.
Open To Public? no
This lighthouse is best seen by boat. Surrounding trees obscure the view from the mainland.
Keepers: Luther Moore (1849-1854)