All three keepers of this lighthouse died at or close to the station, leading to the nickname "Lighthouse of Doom." This was the first Ontario lighthouse on Lake Superior; it was one of six lighthouses built as a system of aids from Collingwood to Fort William. The other five were located in Georgian Bay and the North Channel.
Characteristic and Range: Fixed white; range 8 miles.
Description of Tower: White, square wooden tower on stone foundation.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1866
Date Deactivated: 1873
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: William Perry (1867), Thomas Lamphier (c. 1867-1868), Andrew Hynes (c. 1868-1872)