Canadian Coast Guard
The first Medway Head Light was a lantern on the roof of the keeper's house. The building still stands; it was sold to an individual and moved up the hill from the present lighthouse. There is no longer a lantern on the roof.
Tower Height: 29
Height of Focal Plane: 79
Characteristic and Range: 4 second flash every 12 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, square pyramidal wooden tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
1851: Light displayed from from a three-sided window that projected from the top of keeper's dwelling. 1927: Lantern on roof of new dwelling, 38 feet tall. 1966: White fiberglass tower with two red bands, 29 feet high.
Date Established: 1851
Date Present Tower Built: 1983
Date Automated: 1986
Fog Signal: Automated horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
From Route 103: Take Exit 17A and follow for 4.5 miles (7.3 km) to Long Cove Road. Turn right and follow to the lighthouse.
Keepers: Elson Perry (1850-1892); Israel Foster (1892-1908); Will Atkins (1908-1910); Jonas Whynot (1910-1934); Stan Hubley (1934-1956); Russell Hunick (1956-1959); Douglas Smiley (1959-1986)