Coffin Island Lighthouse Heritage Society
Contact Address Information:
PO Box 1724
The first Coffin Island Light was the fifth lighthouse in Nova Scotia. The second Coffin Island Lighthouse was 150 feet from shore when it was constructed in 1914, but erosion ate away at the bluff until the tower teetered on the brink of falling over. The Coffin Island Lighthouse Heritage Society mounted a successful drive to build a stone armor wall around the lighthouse. The project was completed in the summer of 1999. Despite the wall, erosion endangered the lighthouse that it had to be replaced by a new fiberglass tower, 330 feet from the shore, in October 2006. The 1914 tower was demolished.
Tower Height: 32
Description of Tower: White conical fiberglass tower with red lantern.
This light is operational
1812: 50-foot octagonal wooden tower with red and white bands (destroyed by fire in 1913). 1914: 52-foot white octagonal steel-reinforced concrete tower with red lantern.
Date Established: 1812
Date Present Tower Built: 2006
Date Automated: 1961
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Accessible by boat only, although the lighthouse can be seen from spots along the shore, including the Beach Meadows Roadside Pull-off on Route 331 east of Liverpool.
Keepers: James McLeod (18??); Thomas Eaton (?-1871, died in service); ? Eaton (widow of Thomas, 1871); William Firth (1871-?); Lester Leaman (c. 1939); Clyde VanBuskirk, Emmitt Munro, Arthur Gates, Jim Wentzell, Russell MacKinnon (prior to 1956), Wallace Wentzell.