Key West Art and Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
938 Whitehead Street
The first Key West Lighthouse was destroyed by a hurricane in 1846. The present tower was opened to the public in 1972. A restoration project began in 1987 and took three years to complete. The station has been restored to its appearance at the turn of the 20th century. There is a working optic in the lighthouse but is not an official navigational aid.
Tower Height: 86
Height of Focal Plane: 91
This light is not operational
1887 one story keeper's house; cistern, oil house (replica), two garages, storage building, outhouse.
Date Established: 1825
Date Present Tower Built: 1848
Date Deactivated: 1969
Date Automated: 1915
Optics: 1858: Third order Fresnel lens; now 175-WATT HI-TEK M57.
Current Use: Museum
Open To Public? Yes
The Key West Lighthouse Museum, located in the 1887 keeper's house, is open daily 9:30 am to 5:00 pm.The museum tells the stories of the lighthouses of the Florida Keys and the history of the Key West Light Station. There is also a gift shop. Visitors are also invited to climb the lighthouse tower and tour the grounds.
From Route 1 (Truman Avenue) in Key West, turn onto Whitehead Street. The lighthouse is at 938 Whitehead Street; there is a small parking lot.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Michael Mabrity (1826-1832); Barbara Mabrity (1832-?); William DeMeritt (?); William Bethel (?-1908); Mary Bethel (1908-1914).