Canadian Coast Guard
This lighthouse was built 1/2 mile (0.8 kilometers) from the site that had been designated. The lighthouse has been moved twice -- in 1885 and 1908. The 1908 fog signal building was moved back about 600 feet from the edge of the eroding cliff in the fall of 2007, thanks to the Friends of Elmira.
Tower Height: 64
Height of Focal Plane: 100
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every five seconds, visible for 20 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal wooden tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1867
Date Present Tower Built: 1867
Date Automated: 1989
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, tourist attraction.
Open To Public? Yes.
Guided tours are available mid-June 16 through August. There is a nominal admission fee. The fog signal building houses a crafts shop and interpretive center, with plans for a coffee shop/tearoom to open in spring 2008.
Turn off Route 16 (King's Byway) onto a road marked "East Point Light" and follow a short distance to a parking lot at the point.
Keepers: Harry Harris (1940s-1989)