Hereditary Chief Joe Tom Sayers
The land for this lighthouse was first purchased in 1873 from the Indian Department, and the government recognized its obligation to turn the land back to the Indian Department as Indian Reserve in 1967. The land around the lighthouse (50 acres) and a second parcel (115 acres) were set aside as Indian Reserve for the Batchawana Indians. Hereditary Chief Edward James Sayers first inhabited the abandoned structure in 1972, and Hereditary Chief Joe Tom Sayers has lived in it since 1995.
Tower Height: 0
Height of Focal Plane: 43
Characteristic and Range: Fixed green, visible for 11 miles.
This light is not operational
1873: White, octagonal wooden tower; 63 feet tall.
Date Established: 1873
Date Present Tower Built: 1931
Date Deactivated: c.1966?
Current Use: Private residence.
Open To Public? No.
Books or Related Products: