Fort Point National Historic Site
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 29333
Presidio of San Francisco
Fort Point Lighthouse was discontinued because of the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Tower Height: 27
Height of Focal Plane: 110
Description of Tower: White cast iron tower, nine-sided, located on fort.
This light is not operational
Two keepers dwellings and other buildings have all been removed.
1853: Cape Cod style structure with a lantern on the roof was destroyed in 1855 to make room for the fort. 1855: Two story wood structure was demolished in 1863 to allow corrections to the seawall.
Date Established: 1853
Date Present Tower Built: 1864
Date Deactivated: 1934
Optics: 1864: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Originally bell, later fog trumpet in concrete fog signal building (1904).
Current Use: Part of national park.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Fort Point is a fort constructed between 1853 and 1861. The fort is open to the public during daylight hours. Entrance to the fort and parking is free. There are ranger-guided tours available, and there is a bookstore at the fort. Call (415) 556-1693. The lighthouse is only accessible around the base; the tower is considered unsafe and is blocked by a railing and fence.
From the north: Proceed over Golden Gate Bridge on Highway 101 South, staying in the farthest right lane. After passing through the toll gate, take the first available exit to the right, continuing in a circle to the right, through an underpass, through the visitor parking lot, to a stop sign (Lincoln Blvd.), then turn left on Lincoln Blvd. Follow for about 1/4 mile and turn left on Long Ave. and drive until it dead ends at the fort. From the south: Take Highway 101 North toward the Golden Gate Bridge, stay in the farthest right lane and take the "Last San Francisco Exit." Proceed through the parking lot to your right until you reach the stop sign (Lincoln Blvd.). Turn left and proceed to Long Ave. and drive until it dead ends at the fort. From the southeast: Take 25th Ave. to Lincoln Blvd. Follow the road for about 1/4 mile and turn left on Long Ave, and drive until it dead ends at the fort. San Franscisco Muni buses also go close to Fort Point.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: B. F. Deane (1855-?), J. C. Frachey (?), George D. Wise (1860), Henry Hickson (1860-?), John D. Jenkins (?-1863), George W. Omey (1863), Scott Blanchard (1864-1866), R. S. Martin (1866-1869), Frank Thompson (1869-1871), J. T. Huie (1871-1878), James Rankin (1878); George Cobb (1909-1934) ASSISTANTS: Ephrin Sohn (1856-?), Return J. Hunter (1857-1858), A. M. Hunter (1858-1859),
George D. Wise (1858-1860), D. Dennison (1860), G. W. Thomas (1860), James Gormley (1860-?), James Jenkins (1860-?), James Heron (1860-?), C. H. Warren (?), G. W. Omey (?-1863), G. A. Braley (1863), J. J. Wickersham (1863-1865), Ann Blanchard (1865-1866), William Ferry (1866-1867), Mrs. Rachel L. Jones (1867-1868), Theresa Welch (1868), F. B. Morehouse (1868-1869), Mrs. Mary Thompson (1869-1871), Sophie Huie (1874-1878), John Riley (1878-1879), H. P. McKeever (1879), Frank P. Stanyan (1879)