Municipality of Matane
Contact Address Information:
968, Avenue du Phare Ouest
After this lighthouse was discontinued, the Société d'histoire de Matane purchased the tower in 1952. Ten years later, the municipality of Matane became its owner. The tower is part of the Bureau d'accueil touristique Vieux Phare de Matane (tourism information bureau).
Tower Height: 67
Description of Tower: White cylindrical cast iron tower with a red lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1873
Date Present Tower Built: 1907
Date Deactivated: 1951
Current Use: Tourist information center
Open To Public? Yes.
The lighthouse is located on Highway 132 on the western side of the city. Parking is available, and tours are available May through October.
Keepers: François Xavier Dionne (1873-1879), Octave Desjardins (1879-1897), Joseph Banville (1897-1926),
Jules André Octave Morin (1926-1936), André Rioux (1936-1937), Camille McKinnon (1937-1951)